OOooo lala figured I'd do a sexy recipe just in time for the weekend! So let me explain the title of this recipe: I find fruits like figs, plums, blueberries, very sensual. Sensual in the sense of their color, texture, apperance -- I mean come on, figs? They are sexy!
Now just because it's called a sensuous fruit salad doesn't mean it's strictly for lovers. I am sure friends and family would enjoy it too, just don't be too sexy when serving it (they might think you're really weird).
The recipe showcases simplicity at its best -- there is literally no other ingredients than the fruit itself. I think it is really important for any cook to learn how to pick good quality produce -- that way the ingredient can showcase its beauty on its own. So today, I will give you a few tips on how to pick summer produce.
How to pick Brown Turkish Figs:
- Look at the color -- a ripe turkish fig should have a brownish yellow skin with purple hues
- Ripe figs are soft to the touch, similar to a ripe peach. The skin is very thin and can even crack due to the plump juicy flesh within.
- Look underneath the fig, do you see droplets of "syrup" collecting around the eye? That is a sure tell-tale sign you've picked a sweet fig.
How to pick Plums:
- I always use my nose when picking plums. Smell at the top of the plum, where it was picked -- if the scent is very fragrant and sweet it is a winner for sure. If you don't smell nothin...put it back.
- Depending on the type of plum you are buying, pick colors that are rich in dark purples (almost black) and reds.
- Feel the plum, if it is rock hard it's not ready yet. It should be plump and soft, the flesh should slightly sink with the pressure from your fingers.
How to pick Melons:
- Use your nose again! Same rule of thumb with plums, smell at the top of the melon where it was picked. Remember: fragrant and sweet smells!
- Thump the mellon -- if it sounds nice and dense it is packed with juice. Also if the belly of the melon is yellow that is another sign it is ripe.
- Make sure the outerskin is nice and firm, any soft spots on a melon is a no go.
How to pick Blueberries:
- Pick berries that are not smushed and are rich in blue/purplish hues. Avoid blueberries that look red or even white -- those are definitely NOT RIPE.
- Blueberries that are large in size are usually very sweet, avoid eating any blueberries that feel very hard -- they are very sour!
Ingredients for Sensuous Fruit Salad: (serves 2-4)
- 6 brown turkey figs, washed and quartered
- 1 cup blueberries, washed
- 1 cup melon balls
- 3 black plums, washed pitted and quartered
Gentle mix all ingredients in a large bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Serve chilled with some vanilla ice cream or eat it plain. For those who want more sweetness, feel free to drizzle some honey on top!
So below are some pictures of our new home -- please excuse the mess and random assortment of furniture scattered around. There's still much to be done but we are getting close :)!!!
My mom will actually be staying with us mid August until...well whenever she feels like leaving. Hopefully NEVER...but in reality probably a month...or two? *keeping fingers crossed* Then she will be moving to Shanghai permanently to enjoy retirement and to be closer to her hubby and family. Once she moves in a lot of recipes I'll be featuring on here will probably be the meals she teaches me to cook -- I've asked her to teach me everything she knows before she leaves!
The End. Have a great weekend yall :)!