SPICY THAI GREEN CURRY RAMEN
Yields: 2-4 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutesIngredients:
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil or peanut oil
- Green Curry Paste (I used Asian Home Gourmet Thai Green Curry paste)
- 4 small green Thai chilies, OR substitute 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 cup shallot OR purple onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 thumb-size pieces galangal OR ginger, grated
- 1 stalk fresh lemon grass, minced OR 3 Tbsp. frozen or bottled prepared lemongrass
- 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
- 3 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 3 tsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- salt to taste
- 1 small onion, large diced
- 1 cup taro, large diced
- 2 cups carrots, large diced
- 2 cups oyster mushroom, large diced
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 can water/chicken broth
- 4 kaffir lime leaves OR substitute 1 tsp. grated lime zest
- 1 package fresh Japanese ramen OR substitute
- 1 cup bean sprouts, washed
- 1/4 cup radish, washed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- Generous handful fresh basil and cilantro, washed and dried
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the oil and swirl around, then add curry paste, chiles, shallots, garlic, ginger and lemon grass and diced onion. Sauté until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Add broth and taro. Bring curry to a boil and reduce to a slight simmer.
- When taro is almost softened add 1 can coconut milk and the carrots. Cover and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile bring a medium pot of water to a boil. This will be your cooking water for the ramen.
- Place ramen into boiling water and loosen the noodles, making sure they are evenly distributed. Cook until al dente, drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- Add oyster mushrooms, lime leaves/zest, white pepper, and brown sugar to curry, stirring well to incorporate. Simmer another 5-10 minutes and add fish sauce and lime juice.
- Salt to taste and adjust flavors to your liking - adding more fish sauce to make it saltier, more sugar for sweetness, lime for acid and if it's too spicy you can temper it with more coconut milk.
- Place ramen into curry and turn off heat. Divide evenly into 2-4 bowls and garnish with fresh herbs, bean sprouts and shaved radish. Serve immediately.
****** Feel free to add other ingredients like bell peppers, tofu, squash or sweet potatoes.